Cognitive Behavior Therapy: Basics and Beyond by Judith S. Beck, Aaron T. Beck 2nd Edition (1609185048) (9781609185046)
thousands of clinicians and graduate students have relied on this
text—now significantly revised with more than 50% new material—to learn
the fundamentals of cognitive behavior therapy (CBT). Leading expert
Judith S. Beck demonstrates how to engage patients, develop a sound
case conceptualization, plan individualized treatment, structure
sessions, and implement core cognitive, behavioral, and experiential
techniques. Throughout the book, extended cases of one client with
severe depression and another with depression, anxiety, and borderline
personality traits illustrate how a skilled therapist delivers CBT and
troubleshoots common difficulties. Adding to the third edition's
utility, the companion website features downloadable worksheets and
videos of therapy sessions.
New to This Edition
- Chapter on the therapeutic relationship.
- Chapter on integrating mindfulness into treatment.
- Presents recovery-oriented cognitive therapy (CT-R)—which emphasizes clients’ aspirations, values, and positive adaptation—alongside traditional CBT.
- Pedagogical features: clinical tips, reflection questions, practice exercises, and videos at the companion website.
- New case examples featuring clients with more complex problems.
- Demonstrates how to integrate strategies from other modalities, such as acceptance and commitment therapy, dialectical behavior therapy, and mindfulness-based cognitive therapy.